- The Fairs
- Curious Minds
Some of the world's brightest high school students -- including 24 from Massachusetts -- have converged on Phoenix, Arizona this week to compete in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (Intel ISEF). Their ultimate goal? Grab a piece of the more than $4 million in awards.
The students in the Massachusetts delegation have had a busy month. Just last week many of them competed in the 64th annual Massachusetts State High School Science & Engineering Fair at MIT (May 3rd and 4th). Most of them rose to the state fair level on the strength of their projects' performance in their regional fairs -- of which there are six in Massachusetts. The students' regional fair standing also provided the basis for their selection for the international fair in Phoenix.
The Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, a program of Society for Science & the Public, provides an opportunity for the best young scientists from countries all over the world to share ideas, showcase cutting-edge science projects, and compete for big money in awards and scholarships. The Intel International Science and Engineering Fair is the world’s largest pre-college science and engineering competition, drawing more than 1,500 student participants (referred to as "finalists") from around the world each year.
While we don't know who the winners are yet, congratulations are in order for all the members of the Massachusetts delegation for reaching Intel ISEF!
The projects of the six Massachusetts students representing the State Science earned the very top score in each of the six Regional Science Fairs across Massachusetts. The students are:
Shannon Boley – Westfield High School
Erica Budina – Medford High School
Andrew Doherty – Taunton High School
Jessica Morgan – Plymouth North High School
Rahi Punjabi – Advanced Math & Science Academy
Nafisa Wara – Boston Latin School
In addition, each of the regions in Massachusetts sent one or more students to compete at ISEF.
Region I - Western Massachusetts
• Patrick Monette & Dillon Sienko -- Westfield High School
Region II - Central Massachusetts
• Gregory Konar – Massachusetts Academy at Worcester Polytechnic Institute
• Adam Smith -- Massachusetts Academy at Worcester Polytechnic Institute
• Zohaib Moonis & Emory Payne -- Bancroft School
• Ayush Kumar & Raashed Raziuddin -- Advanced Math & Science Academy
Region III - Southwest Massachusetts
• Amy Santos -- Taunton High School
• Daniel White -- Somerset-Berkeley Regional High School
Region IV - Northeast Massachusetts
• Benjamin Brown -- Lexington High School
Region V - Southeast Massachusetts
• James Roggeveen -- Nantucket High School
• Lucas Repeta -- Falmouth High School
Region VI - Boston
• Andriana Flores, Omar Janoudi and Abeer Shrari - East Boston High School
• Adrian Haber – Boston Latin School
• Shirley Fang – Boston Latin School
Good luck to them all!